Historic church and fort.
Aerial photos of the heritage village Reis Magos are presented in this photo essay. Mellow early morning light illuminates the monuments and the surrounding area.
The following introduction is excerpted from an earlier post on the same subject.
Reis Magos is exquisitely located on the waterline across the bay from Goa‘s capital city Panjim, and is named after the three biblical Magi Kings. Among its treasures are the eponymous church and fort.
The beautiful Church of Reis Magos built in 1555 is among Goa‘s oldest. Symbols in bas relief around the steps leading up reveal the existence of an earlier Hindu temple at the site. The handsome east-facing façade must be seen in the warm glow of the rising sun. The annual feast at the church in the first week of January is an important event in the Goan calendar.
The Reis Magos Fort was built by the Portuguese in 1551 soon after their conquest of Bardez and later revitalized in 1703. When the Marathas took over Bardez in 1739, the Portuguese used the redoubts of Reis Magos and Aguada to barely hold on.