The popular, fetching – and clichéd – view of Vesturhorn is the one from the east. Here we see a less common view of the mountain, from the southwest direction across the waters of Skarðsfjörður.
An orographic study.
Two iconic mountains: Vaðalfjöll in the West and Þóristindur in the south-central Highlands of Iceland. Like so many other mountains in Iceland, these present markedly different profiles depending on the viewing direction.
In the image below, can you descry the two human figures atop Vaðalfjöll?
Characters from an earlier time.
These portraits from 2007 have a common attribute: they depict a type of men and life in rural Goa that has now receded. These villagers typically lived their whole lives within the small radius of their settlements, living off the land, and for the most part oblivious to the larger world.
Filed under the Faces of Goa folder.
Remembering a distinguished son of Goa.
Today is the birth anniversary of Abbé Faria (May 31, 1756 – Sep 20, 1819), a pioneering researcher in the field of hypnotism. Pace Franz Mesmer, Faria recognized that the agency of hypnosis is the power of suggestion.
Abbé Faria was born in the coastal village of Candolim in Goa. He died in Paris and is buried in Montmartre although the exact location of his grave remains unknown. A fictionalized Abbé was featured in Alexandre Dumas‘s novel The Count of Monte Cristo, later adapted in a number of films, the last in 2002. Read the brief account of his eventful life in the Wiki entry.
In 1945, a monument honouring this great man was erected in the heart of Panjim, and the Goan sculptor Ramchandra Pandurang Kamat commissioned to create the artwork. The plaque on the northern side reads: JOSÉ CUSTODIO FARIA (ABADE FARIA) FUNDADOR DE DOUTRINA E METODO DA HIPNOSE PELA SUGESTÃO (José Custodio Faria, Abbé Faria founder of the Doctrine and Method of Hypnosis by Suggestion). [Reference: Snapshots of Indo-Portuguese History – I by Vasco Pinho]
In the first image below, the Palácio do Idalcão (Adilshah’s Palace), built c. 1500, is to the left of the frame and on the right, the heritage Mhamai Kamat House (19th C).