In Hindu tradition, Nagesh is a manifestation of Lord Shiva, and one of the 12 jyotirlingas. The ancient shrine of Nagesh in the village of Bandivade (also known as Bandode) in Goa probably dates as far back as the 7th C. Its interior location saved it from the depredations of the early Portuguese conquests.
Historically as well as in regards to current religious practice, the temple at Nageshi, as the campus is called, occupies a special place in the hearts of Goans. The structure first assumed its present form around 1780.
The influence of the Naga cult in Goa and in the adjoining regions could be traced with the help of the copper plate of Siroda…[which] clearly indicates that the Hindu society by c. 400 A.D. in this region had worshipped Nagas…In Goa there are two villages bearing the name Nagoa, one in Bardez taluka and the second one in Salcete. Before the spread of the Vedic culture in Goa region the linga of Nagesh may have been consecrated by the Gavdas and worshipped in the Nageshi shrine of Ponda taluka…There are two well known shrines of Nagesh in Ponda taluka namely in Priol and Bandivade…
Note: Goans often spell Nagesh as Naguesh (same thing with Mangesh and Manguesh).
PS: The archival image in this post is scanned from Postais Antigos do Estado da Índia by João Loureiro (Fundação Macau, 1998). In the book it is credited to Centro de Informação e Turismo – Pangim.