This installment presents some of the surviving aesthetic treasures of Panjim.
The man responsible for parlaying what was once a swamp into one of the world’s most beautiful cities was the Portuguese Viceroy D. Manoel Francisco de Portugal e Castro. It was during his tenure, 1827-1835, that the marshland was reclaimed and the city’s layout conceived. A suite of important buildings arose around this time, such as the Old Customs House (Alfandega), and Casa da Moeda (Mint House), seen below.
The Ghanekar House typifies the traditional Hindu home with its raj angan (central courtyard).
All posts on Panjim are consolidated here.