Panjim Promenade – 4

This installment presents some of the surviving aesthetic treasures of Panjim.

The man responsible for parlaying what was once a swamp into one of the world’s most beautiful cities was the Portuguese Viceroy D. Manoel Francisco de Portugal e Castro. It was during his tenure, 1827-1835, that the marshland was reclaimed and the city’s layout conceived. A suite of important buildings arose around this time, such as the Old Customs House (Alfandega), and Casa da Moeda (Mint House), seen below.

The Ghanekar House typifies the traditional Hindu home with its raj angan (central courtyard).

 
Old Customs House, Panjim

Old Customs House (circa 1830), Panjim
5D Mark II, TS-E 17L

 
Casa da Moeda (circa 1830), Panjim

Casa da Moeda (circa 1830), Panjim
5D Mark II, TS-E 17L

 
Ghanekar House (19th C), Panjim

Ghanekar House (19th C), Panjim
5D Mark II, TS-E 17L

 

All posts on Panjim are consolidated here.

 
 
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

Read More...

Subscribe

Collection

Archives