Iceland’s ancient bishopric.
The seat of Hólar is located in the beautiful valley of Hjaltadalur in north Iceland. The first printing press in Iceland was established here in 1530.
“The bishopric at Hólar was founded in 1106 to serve the northern part of Iceland. There had been a church here since the 11th century. A seminary was established at Hólar in the 12th century. Teaching there ended in 1801 when the two bishoprics were joined, a single bishop henceforth residing in Reykjavík. The present church was built in 1759-63, using red sandstone from the neighbouring mountain. The previous churches were built of wood, with the exception of one 14th century stone church, which was never completed. Since 1986, Hólar has been the seat of the suffragan bishop. A college of agriculture has been located here since 1882.”