The Church of St Anne is the most imposing church in Goa. Located in the village of Talaulim not far from Panjim, its architectural style is classified as Indian Baroque (vide Churches of Goa by José Pereira, Oxford University Press, 2002), and was conceived by Father Francisco do Rego who traced his roots to a Brahmin family from nearby Neura. Construction began in 1681 and was completed in 1695 (after do Rego’s death).
Known locally as Santana, the Church of St Anne celebrates its annual feast – the Cucumber Fest – at the end of July. For decades the monument had been in a state of severe disrepair and following a heavy downpour in 2007, a portion of the structure caved in. Reconstruction and restoration were then initiated with funds made available by the state government.
These images were taken this July soon after completion of the repairs.