Tag Archives: Village

Abode of Vishnu. The historic temple of Anant in the village of Savoi-Verem, Goa, is ensconced in a luscious bed of green. A schist plaque of the reclining Vishnu – Anantshayana – dating back to the 11th Century during the Kadamba period is the central object of worship in the garbhagriha. The temple is surrounded […]

View full post »

Faces of Goa. We saw the lone figure tending to his buffaloes in the village of Anconem, north Goa, on a rainy afternoon. Krishna was equipped with his sickle and a rain cover made of sack cloth, known in Konkani as kaambol, traditionally worn by those who exert their limbs for a living.    

View full post »

Slice of Goa’s heritage. The historic Igreja de São Francisco de Assis (Church of St. Francis of Assisi) has a lovely setting on the southern bank of River Chapora in Colvale. The Church of Colvale was founded by Franciscans in 1591 and dedicated to ‘the wounds of St. Francis of Assisi.’ It was rebuilt around […]

View full post »