Slice of Goa’s heritage.
The historic Igreja de São Francisco de Assis (Church of St. Francis of Assisi) has a lovely setting on the southern bank of River Chapora in Colvale.
The Church of Colvale was founded by Franciscans in 1591 and dedicated to ‘the wounds of St. Francis of Assisi.’ It was rebuilt around 1638 and repaired after the invasion of Bardez in 1683 by Sambhaji. Later on in 1713, the rebuilding of the vaulted church was undertaken.
From: The Parish Churches of Goa by José Lourenço, Amazing Goa Publications, 2005.